Friday, August 19, 2011

T-Minus 7 days...Stress

With only one week to go, I've been a little stressed with packing and getting ready for the big move up to SMC. So, I decided to do some digging..and no, not literally :)

My research led me to find what the average college freshman stresses about the most during the transition into college. The top 5 are...


#1- Roommate conflicts

#2 - Academics

#3 - Time management

#4 - Relationships

#5 - Finances



Maybe my list is a little out of order for some of you, but I feel like those are what I will most likely end up worrying about during the college transition period. So now that we know what might cause some stress, how do we relieve it? Well, obviously the top 5 stress relievers...



#1 - Working out
By working out I certainly don't mean a rigorous 3-hour workout everyday. But hey, when you're feeling slightly overwhelmed, physical activity helps to take your mind off the stress and get in better shape at the same time! (By the way, St. Mike's has SO many clubs that involve physical activity - check them out here)

#2 - Sleep
This one might be a no-brainer, but it still deserves the number 2 spot. With enough sleep each night, you'll feel more refreshed in the morning and ready to take on those 8 AM classes.

#3 - Music
Ever turn on your iPod, press play on your favorite song, and somehow instantly feel more relaxed? I know I have. It's a fact - music has an effect on the brain that creates a sense of comfort.

#4 - Eating right
  Trust me - apple vs. chocolate bar...the apple wins. Also, skipping meals is a big no-no, this makes you hungry & less energized...and therefore more stressed. 

#5 - Getting organized
Coming from a true organization freak, the key to de-stressing is to clean up the clutter and focus. The more disorganization in your life means the more stressed you will be when that 15 page paper goes missing in the pile of stuff on your desk. Also, keep an agenda/planner to organize important dates & keep on schedule...time management!!



So yes, maybe there will be a little bit of stress. However, St. Mike's is a new beginning and a fresh start. This summer has gone by so fast and I can't wait to finally get there!

:)


On a completely different note, this past Tuesday night my best friends and I were all together for the last time and the thought of everything changing became more real than ever. Despite the dreaded goodbye that was soon to come, we made the night memorable...Pretty Little Liars and dancing, of course!

Me, Torey, Paige, Christine, and Alexandra


Don't be a stranger - Twitter/Formspring

-Juliana


No comments:

Post a Comment